Determination from Stratford School
Application to SACRE for a determination from Stratford Foundation School
SACRE received a presentation from Lynda Nixon, Deputy Head Teacher at Stratford School, on the provision of Religious Education (RE) and Acts of Collective Worship (ACW), in support of their application for determination.
Details of the school’s themes for assembly, along with evidence of consultation with the governing body, students, parents, staff and faith communities, were submitted for consideration.
Lynda Nixon informed SACRE that RE was very important at Stratford school and that the School offered daily reflection as part of their morning registrations, using songs, prayers and visual images. They are called 'daily reflections' rather than 'Acts of Collective Worship’ to make sure that they are fully inclusive.
SACRE queried how much time was spent on their daily reflections as it was incorporated with registrations and were informed that about 5 minutes were dedicated to their daily reflections.
Lynda stated the parents are generally supportive and that she has not received any requests to withdraw from ACW. The school is not in favour of holding different sessions for collective reflection.
Each Panel separated to consider their vote, which was recorded as follows:
Local Authority Panel: In Favour
Church of England Panel: In Favour
Other Faiths Panel: In Favour
Teachers Panel: In Favour
SACRE agreed to grant that application for determination to Stratford School.
- application form determination, item 4. PDF 62 KB
- minutes wse oct 2010, item 4. PDF 97 KB
- Staff Bulletin extract, item 4. PDF 60 KB
- Parent letter, item 4. PDF 622 KB
- Faith letter, item 4. PDF 607 KB
- Daily reflection consultation students, item 4. PDF 57 KB
- Daily reflectionSchedule 2010, item 4. PDF 23 KB
- Microsoft PowerPoint - daily reflectionWC 14 Feb, item 4. PDF 77 KB
- Microsoft PowerPoint - Daily reflection wc 2 May, item 4. PDF 458 KB
- Microsoft PowerPoint - Daily reflection WC 1 Sept, item 4. PDF 261 KB